View Single Post
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 11:18   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Very few will pay £5k for a car that the seller doesn't bother to get mot'd. Also, most folks on this forum already have their car requirements sorted, so again a very limited market.

You will be best to get the car mot'd and then advertise on multiple platforms to get maximum exposure to the market. Without an mot it needs putting on ebay with a 99p starting auction and let the market decide. Good luck.
Sound advice.

As a real-life example, my present V70 (2000 2.4 petrol 140 BHP auto with 118K up) was on offer at a dealer's six years ago for £695 with just over 4 month's MOT.

I said that I would pay the screen price if he would put a new ticket on it. He declined, but immediately offered me the car as a 'trade sale' for £550. I decided to take a chance, which has since paid off handsomely. I'd certainly be willing to do that at that price-point if I liked the car, but not at 10 times that figure. As 'ITSv40' suggests, I do not think that I am alone in that respect.

Conversely, if I was selling a car for anything more than 'scrap' value, I would offer it with a decent MOT, not just to give prospective purchasers a degree of confidence in the car, but also for my own peace of mind - I wouldn't want to think that I had unwittingly sold a dangerous car to anyone.

Your V70 does look like a very nice example, 'rickardrydell', and I'm sure that it is safe and would almost certainly sail through an MOT test, but as 'ITSv40' says above, very few will pay £5K for a car without an MOT. I agree with him and think that you are doing both yourself and your motor-car a grave disservice in not doing so - not least because prospective purchasers will neither be able to test-drive it nor drive it home. I would urge you to think again!

Regards, John.