View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 13:37   #54
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzine View Post
A petrol car is worse than battery statistically. Petrol scares the whatsit out of me how quick it goes up. A diesel engine requires compression but diesel fuel doesn't, it'll still go up when the conditions are right (e.g. comes into contact with hot components like a exhaust manifold/turbo/my body). It's auto ignition temperature is actually lower than petrol.

This is something I hear a lot. Out of interest, did you ever share such concern in the past for ICE vehicles in the same way? So many rare metals are used in the making of cars and fuel refining, I can't get my head around why now it's suddenly a concern. From the articles and posts I see it's almost as if certain large companies, reliant of the sale of such old hat tech, don't want people to switch over.

Statistically the petrol car will remain higher for a while due to sheer numbers vs, about the diesel though I'd not considered the surface ignition factor only the split tank venting route so I've learned something every day today with that one.

I'm wondering if this whole thing is to ration fossil fuel to make it last longer as it's not infinite in it's supply, so if you can get 50% of the demand out of the way then you have 50% more product in reserve for the future. I think EV has it's place, it's in small to medium urban only vehicles, speeds won't be reached to make it dangerous and distances will be within the don't get stranded range. I actually like the idea of them but I do feel they've been rushed to market in a way and there are lessons will be learnt speeches to come hence the motorway pile up post.

I see you're still enjoying "my" avatar
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote