View Single Post
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 01:29   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

A good air powered rotary die grinder will be expensive, noisy and require a good sized air compressor. I have a 60 gal 2 cylinder 3 or 5 hp up-right compressor and I would say that it is borderline for heavy use of my admittedly middling quality die grinder. $1000 - $1500 Cdn would probably get you started with a good air grinder, compressor and hoses.

The lower [priced cordless rotary tools that I have seen are mainly for hobby work / model making. They work fine on plastic and wood and other relatively soft materials. They will not be satisfactory if you are trying to cut steel. I am now on my 3rd corded Dremel tool - having burned out the previous two. I am unintentionally wedded to the Dremel because I have a bunch of Dremel specific attachments. Even the best corded Dremel is marginal for heavy work. After about 5-7 minutes of heavy use I have to put it down to let it cool off. Makita, De Walt, Bosch and probably others make some nice, albeit heavier and larger corded die grinders which start north of $200 Cdn without any accessories. I know Bosch does have a cordless die grinder. With its battery it is kind of big, almost two handed and its price is around $400.

You need to be more specific about your end -use for the die grinder. My only observation is that for anything on a car, the light weight battery powered die grinders are probably going to be extremel;y unsatisfactory.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Feb 28th, 2023 at 01:31.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: