Thread: 240 General: - Low-Pitched Whine At Slow Speeds
View Single Post
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 22:01   #18
TheHungriestBadger

The engine mount under the oil filter looked somewhat swollen, and the one on the opposite side looked like it was starting to crack/perish on the outer surface (similar condition to the trans mount I took off), so presumably the weight has indeed scooted everything out of alignment to the point of something new being unhappy. By the time it gets to the garage, car will have done about 3 miles total, so fingers crossed that a new set of engine mounts (and the correct trans mount) solve all. I'm guessing if they don't then it's either carrier bearing, or something more sinister with the diff (input bearing or pinion/backlash thereof?) or transmission (tailshaft bushing I guess?).

No vibrations, certainly not new ones - being in North Wales at the moment, descending some of the steeper hills has resulted in some fancy massaging seats 😉 but that's about it, braking on the flat or uphill, cruising, or accelerating (aka 99% of the time), the ride is smooth as can be, except at idle where it's a tad shaky - likely just in need of an ignition tune-up.

Again, the only new thing is the whining/whirring noise which is brand new, and was instantly present from the second I drove away after doing the trans mount. I'll try get an audio recording of it on my way to the garage, although hopefully, it'll be no longer by the time I get the car back.

Define "driveline assembled"? Was the cross-member bolted back up tight with the trans still jacked up? Yes, because otherwise the cross-member couldn't be pushed vertically up far enough to thread the bolt through it and into the chassis.

My electronics website/blog thing: https://unintegratedcircuit.wixsite....egratedcircuit
TheHungriestBadger is offline   Reply With Quote