Thread: Electrics: 164: - distributor parts and part numbers
View Single Post
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 18:35   #3
Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Try Volvo Genuine Classic Parts

https://www.gcp.se/en/

About 15 years ago they were the only ones who had the rebush kits for my B20E distributor. If you need parts for the advance mechanism I think you are definitely out of luck because even those were unavailable for the B18 / B20 15 years ago. You need to pony up the big bucks for a machinist to custom fabricate those parts if you absolutely need to stay original.

The default replacement part now seems to be the 123 distributor.
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. The 123 is very impressive on paper, and really nice and shiny. It's certainly a viable option for an affluent owner who travels only during regular business hours and close to the built-up areas. However, I'm not a tech millionaire with my own space program, and I drive desolate, deep country roads where the tow trucks don't run, and often during the night. I've been stranded by four different vehicles, two of them Volvo, with electronic issues (all close to home, thankfully). Three of those were terminal. I've driven countless more miles behind a set of points, and had only the same number of breakdowns, and been able to fix every one of them by the roadside, most of them in the dark. The worst I had to do was drop in my spare points set. I can't afford to carry a spare $700 Star Wars distributor. It probably wouldn't still be shiny after 2 years in an ammo can under the driver's seat.

Actually, I'm the machinist who'll make the parts needed, and I wish I had those big bucks. The thin spacers are a right pain, and the various insulating spacers are a major challenge, not knowing the original material and so badly worn that it's pretty hard to get measurements to duplicate them. And then there's advance springs... It's just so much easier having the correct parts.

I tried gcp.se. Everything came up "Deleted part - Will not come again!" Hence my hope that someone can suggest an aftermarket source. I know they must be out there.

Last edited by Steyn; Mar 26th, 2023 at 18:39.
Steyn is offline   Reply With Quote