View Single Post
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 10:16   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

That's as maybe, but the grease inevitably also aids getting the tube in as well lubricating it in action once fitted.

I'm still puzzled, because these particular poly bushes seem to rely on a completly different principle from others I have come across. When I fitted trailing arm bushes to a Triumph 2000 a few years ago they were much more difficult to fit. There was no grease, the bushes were longer than the metal tube, and the whole assembly had to be compressed by a G-clamp as the bushes were squeezed hard between the flanges on the chassis as the arm was jacked up and forced upwards into position. It was very difficult aligning the holes to get the bolt into the second hole, and I had to make a special alignment tool by grinding a tapered point on a section of spare bolt and tapping it through using the real bolt.

A recent thread on a Series LandRover forum shows that kits for poly bushes contain specially sized penny washers with central holes to match the diameter of the metal tubes, hence squeezing the bushes very tightly when the bolt is tightened.

The principle of both these types of poly bushes seems to show that they are not "bearings", but are designed to twist and stretch just like the previous rubber bushes were.
Tempting as it would be to use some grease to aid assembly, that would have negated the function of the bushes.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: