View Single Post
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 00:55   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post

The fuel guage has thus been proven to be a random number generator.

Before I reassembled it, I tested all the bulbs with a multimeter and only found one blown - the dip beam light. I swapped it with the one from the traction control indicator (didn't know that was even an option in 1989!), then on switch on I discovered that it was on all the time even with the headlamps off, (it must indicate the day running lights are on) and it was also a horrible dirty yellowy green colour and promptly swapped it back again. I don't see any point in having a lamp lit 100% of the time?

And... we have a working odometer
I then checked it against a gps app on my phone (The app is called DigiHUD, its quite good, you can make it project onto the windscreen).
The odometer is accurate to the GPS.
The speedo itself appears to read 4/5mph fast all the way up - perhaps the car isn't _quite_ as slow as I first thought.
Wow, a fuel gauge that actually does something! A novelty on a 7/9xx i reckon!

That greeny/yellow telltale is actually your sidelights on warning - designed to let you know the sidelights are on if you've been driving on sidelights and switched the ignition off. The sidelights remain on if the headlamp switch is in the sidelights position.

You removed the speedo needle to do the job, didn't you? If you got it back a couple of degrees out from where it should be, it will read 4-5mph fast all the way. Usually speedos read 5-10% fast, my 760 read ~14% fast until i fitted 195/65/15s on it, then only about 7-8% fast - 205/70/15s would have pretty much corrected it completely but not worth the extra cost.

Sounds like you've made some excellent progress there!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: