View Single Post
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 11:08   #10
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
If you can't find shims, try using Copaslip on the backs of the pads. That can help. Or maybe make your own with some tin snips. A drinks can is probably flexible enough and easily cuttable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=copaslip

Also check that it's not your brake shields vibrating - in our wetter/saltier climate they corrode and start to break up. I've also had small stones/gravel stuck between the shield and the disc which makes a hell of a noise - interestingly not all the time, only with the steering in certain positions and under braking.
Nah. It's not the brake shields. They are just fine.

I am a bit disappointed with ferodo. They sell the pads without shims and they don't sell the shims separately. I am considering ordering a set of Brembo pads.

Some pads come with a glued material instead of a steel shim. That material is made of polyurethane. There is a Polyurethane tape made specifically to protect friction areas between metal. It is use mostly in space and aircrafts. But a roll of that would set me back just as much as a new set of pads. Sets of the same material are also sold and marketed specifically for brake pads.