View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2023, 06:26   #4
Othen
Premier Member

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Blauwe.

What James and John say is correct.

If you sell the motorcar as scrap it will be worth about £400, the advantage would be you would get the cash straight away and it would be collected probably the same day.

If you advertised it on an eBay auction as a project motor car with no MoT but some nice photographs and a candid description it might make a grand (maybe a little less). It would need to be collected with a trailer so the deal may not be so swift, also there would be some selling costs (maybe £40) and eBay buyers are slightly notorious for being insincere (although I have not had a problem in that respect).

You could always try posting a free small ad in the selling section of this forum. There are always folk claiming to be looking for project 240s (although I think most of them are dealers looking for cheap stock - but that may suit your needs well). If you asked quite a low price (say £900) you might find that is just what someone is looking for.

Without seeing the motor car or the MoT failure report it is difficult to give you a better steer on the costs of repair. As John says a set of new tyres might be £300 (if it needs all 4, perhaps you might get away with just a pair?). Fixing the leak and any other failure issues is slightly open ended. If you have to pay a garage to investigate and do the work that could cost hundreds in labour alone. If you are able to diagnose and fit some parts yourself it might be just a few pounds. With a new MoT James is right, the motor car should make at least £1,500. There would of course be some selling costs and the same uncertainty as above.

I'm guessing the MoT garage gave you an estimate for making good the faults, so you will already know the approximate cost. If the estimate was more than £500 I'd say it might be best to advertise the motor car as it is on eBay with a low start price and aim to get around £1,000. There are always folk looking for project cars.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 26th, 2023 at 06:33.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: