Thread: Electrics: - XC70 2005 electrical issue
View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2023, 20:17   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

How many miles on your '05? General state of repair, please?

Absolute RULE #1 for horror stories such as these is: Do you have a healthy, fully charged battery and, because electronic paths are involved, a known good charging system?

When was the last time you even checked your charging system while running? You would've been looking for >14 charging voltage just for peace of mind.
Regular checks with a basic VOM help form beneficial long term planning.
EX: Monthly "first thing in the morning" voltage checks can show you the downward trajectory of all batteries.
No judgement here, just askin'.

Also, weren't there water incursion problems with some ECUs around 2005?
I'm foggy on this one but I believe the CPU is central to the dash as well as the base of the windshield.

I do know that your era of car experienced cold / cracked solder joints in the ABS control unit of some vehicles. This malady created a cascade of lights and malfunctions.
However, the SRS light etc. wasn't part of the faulty ABS card scenarios I recall.

As a longshot...how are your brakes? When they get low...when the MASTER CYLINDER gets low....when worn pads cause the caliper to rock more than usual, you can get a slew of codes.

Don't overlook spider webs and rust on disused ABS pulse wheels or accumulated dirt on the sensors.

Check your juicer first.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Sep 24th, 2023 at 20:26.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote