Thread: Electrical: - Wiper Motor queries
View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 18:58   #1
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Default Wiper Motor queries

Hi All

Can anybody confirm if there were different wiper motors in 240s over the production years?

I'm asking because I recently bought a 2nd hand SWF Wiper Motor and refurbed it to replace my current one as a swap. It's running well, and I was about to fit it when I discovered that it has a different diameter of casting where the very end of the motor goes through the grommet in the firewall, just near the point where the wiper crank arm bolts on inside the car. The SWF motor casting has a ~18mm diameter, while the original in my car (1992 240) is 24mm in the same area. All other dimensions of the two wiper motors are compatible.

The point is, this is very relevant because this part of the motor needs to be a water-tight seal in that firewall grommet, and with the SWF motor installed, there's daylight around the firewall grommet, and I don't fancy making a mess with butyl trying to get a seal (or I suppose a sleeve could be made). Plus, it's better if the motor is braced at that point by the grommet, rather than being able to move.

Looking on the internet, there are various non-genuine motors for sale around the world, LHD or RHD, but each appears to have the 24mm diameter. So what's the story with this SWF motor, or is it pre-1981 or something?

BTW I am refurbing my original motor, to get around this problem, but I don't know what to do with the SWF motor.

And next question: can replacement brushes be bought for these wiper motors? These would be such a generic part, you'd think there'd be an option even if they were not available through regular Volvo part channels...
They are carbon brushes...
~4mm x ~5mm x ~10mm long with braided flexible copper leads coming from the middle of the 4mm face.

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote