Thread: Wheels/Tyres: - V70 Front Wheel bearing
View Single Post
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 16:58   #13
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Huge thanks for all the comments, they're really helpful.

OK, busy day today so only an hour to spend on this. First off was to drop the control arm, as suspected, having been taken apart by myself some time ago in fact it dropped out no problem with a bit of levering down with a long bar. And no, I didn't damage the ball joint boot as I was doing it, so the arm is all good.

Just a note to others doing this, the pinch bolt that clamps the ball joint stud into the steering knuckle (the bolt I struggled with yesterday!) slides into a slot milled into the ball joint stud about half way up. Therefore the bolt has to be completely removed for the stud to drop out, if you only slacken it, it will never some out!

Also as suspected, the axle pushed out of the bearing splines no problem, just wound the puller up with a ring spanner and out it came.

Next up was to undo the four star bolts holding the bearing in. This was more of a struggle, needed the trusty breaker bar in anger for this one, but out they came eventually, though I have to admit I was sweating pretty freely by the end. They were VERY stiff pretty much all the way, not so much through rust as to the copious amounts of thread lock used when they were assembled. I know this is used for safety, but I'd call that overkill!

Next needed to tap out the actual bearing - there's a handy "chisel slot" on the side, so a hefty whack with a chisel located in that slot gave me a slight sign of movement on that side, then used my 36mm hub nut socket in the back of the bearing as a driver and another few whacks with the club hammer and out it dropped.

Similarly, a few whacks with a fine chisel on the ABS ring and that popped off too.

So at last it's all apart!

Ran out of time, but next job will be to clean all the crud and rust off the steering knuckle and CV joint etc. probably most of it with a wire-brush-on-a-drill, and start re-assembly. First off will be the ABS ring I think, planning to use a bit of heat on that, but I'm told they usually pop on OK.

More anon...

Thanks all!