Thread: Body/Trim: 70: - V70 Driver's window internal channel
View Single Post
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 16:19   #1
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Default V70 Driver's window internal channel

Hi all,

So today I decided to investigate a really annoying rattle in the driver's door, quite a loud clunk of metal-on-metal every time I shut the door - worse with the window down, clearly something loose.

I took off the door card and the plastic cover at the top near the lock, and sure enough there's an internal curved U-shaped piece that appears to be a channel for the window glass when it's lowered. It's held in with a torx screw in the door shut, and the piece of metal on the channel that the screw goes into had fractured off. No problem with that, soon welded back up and ready to go back in.

However, there's a similar channel at the front of the door, and this has a U-shaped rubber/felt insert in it, so the glass slides down inside that nice and smooth and quiet. The outer channel that I've repaired doesn't have any rubber insert, and as such I can't really see what it actually does the way it is.

So, can anybody confirm whether I should in fact have a rubber/felt insert in this channel? Yes, I've checked in the bottom of the door void and it's not lying around in there! I suspect it is supposed to have an insert, because in several places down the channel sides there are little barb tangs, that look as if they're there to hold it in.

If it is indeed supposed to have one, anybody got one? Long shot I know, but if anyone's scrapping a car or has a spare door it's very easy to get out once the door card is off. I'd rather not have to take the door card off again, so ideally I'd want to fit it before I put it all back together again, but not the end of the world if it takes a bit of time to get one.

If it's supposed to have an insert I'd really like to fit it, as I want to get back to the traditional Volvo "thunk" as you shut the door, not the current "just dropped a bag of spanners" sound that I have - maybe more quiet when driving too, especially with the window down, which I guess is when this channel does what it's supposed to do.

Hope this all makes sense - it will to anyone who has delved inside the driver's door of a V70.

Cheers!