Thread: 1800: - Induction Manifold
View Single Post
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 14:57   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ace;

I expect your finding is a somewhat unusual occurrence ...but it would definitely contribute to idle issues in the D-Jet...and compliments on your technique for locating it!

The (est.) 2" Blanking Plug is set into the alu Intake Man at time of manufacture, similarly to an expansion ("freeze") plug in the engine (center displacement of the dome form, to expand sealing surface)...if it was replaced, and not properly installed at that time, or if it has simply developed a leak due to galvanic corrosion of the dissimilar metals, I would first check to see if the installation looks normal and proper, and if it does look OK, and the leak is around the edge, almost any fuel compatible sealer from gasket gook to RTV, to JBW will do the job until next time Intake Man is off, and access is good for a proper repair (removal and resetting with sealer!)

If you want to remove the BP with Intake Man in place, I should think that by removing the fresh air snorkel and opening the throttle, a broomstick or similar can be used to impart impacts to the back of blanking plug to "undome" it and persuade it out of position to allow removal...a simple cleanup of surfaces and reinstallation and resetting (with sealer!) will then give a permanent repair.

Good Hunting, please let us know how you make out.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote