View Single Post
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 16:50   #103
HG2023

Default XC90 T8 ERAD failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I very much expect that on a 104k mile 2016 car you are basically on your own. You might screw 10% out of Volvo if you make enough fuss but I doubt you would get any more. The extra warranty up to 4-5 years I mention at the start is only against the age of the car, not the age of the part.

By the way, ERAD failure is not your biggest potential cost. Mine had a new ICE engine which cost me 11k when all was counted at the end of the day.
Thank you this is a very useful post. Just been on the phone to Endeavour Automotive Chiswick about this issue. I first flagged the engine problem over 18mnths ago when the car was under 5yrs old. It has since been through a full service and returned with the same problem - a dangerous lag when depressing the accelerator. The car has 38k miles on the clock. I have been told the issue is unrelated to use and is a common technical fault. Although not common enough to mention when it may still be covered within the 5yrs, which is frustrating.

I've been informed that Volvo no longer offer any compensation for the part in the UK outside of the 3y initial warranty and won't offer any warranty for the new part if the car then changes hands. I.e. it doesn't seem to make sense to pay the £3.5k to repair half the ERAD when I understand the other half could just as easily fail and or having driven with a faulty ERAD for some time now the engine could fail.

Question:

1. is it best to pay to repair this part at a qualified Volvo dealer such as Endeavour or is there a cheaper way to get the part repaired
2. is it best to sell the car with the repair due if you plan on switching to something that isn't Volvo in the hope of getting a better car / service
3. how often do these cars have expensive part failures?
HG2023 is offline   Reply With Quote