View Single Post
Old Dec 25th, 2023, 14:28   #30
Geozyg
Praying to God of Volvos

Default Dieselgate

I like the previous suggestion of dieselgate.
I have had 35yrs of Volvos. All sorts, work and home. The D5 has been an astonishing engine. 250k with ease in different versions.
It has been such a resounding success story I am not surprised we are all finding it hard to swallow the VEA 2.0.
There are long lists of faults, piston design, seal leakage, balance shaft etc. I tend to believe most of them, as I have seen a lot so far.
My biggest dilemma is what else instead.
Merc have a litany of issues, Audi/VW plenty of problems, BMW have made some awful and very good engines and Ford is not perfect.
Come to mend ion Ford they are responsible for the manufacturing of Volvo for a while and plenty of plastic bits appeared where once was metal and to me, a lot more cabin road noise. So less sound proofing.
So I have no idea where to go next. They all seem to be equally value engineered (cheap!).
I specifically bought a post piston modification D4. It leaked like a sieve but I hope will do 200k.
It gets oil changes at 9k as my old school engineering just can’t believe 18k can be good for any engine despite modern synthetic oil engineering. And what else can I do in a ULEZ zone? Mmmmmm maybe that 1970s 245 estate is looking like a good option again?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geozyg For This Useful Post: