Thread: S80: Engine - Volvo S80 D4 VEA Oil leak Problems
View Single Post
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 20:34   #5
Sweden Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
The valve cover / camshaft cover on my late 2014 V70 D4 leaked, and it was necessary to replace the cover and not just the gasket because, for early VEA engines, the gasket was not a separate item.

In the case of my car, the leak was visible around the cover, and all of the oil leaked onto the under tray, which meant that none of the oil landed on the ground.

A leaking cover would be my first suspicion, and a mechanic should be able to establish whether or not it is the problem.

More generally, Volvo should be kicking themselves for making so many poor design decisions regarding the VEA engine. It could have been a legendary engine but, instead, it is an engine that has earned a bad reputation.
Thanks for your answer!

At Volvo we are going to replace the cover + gasket, the reference is: 32213460

At home we have had a Volvo V60 D4 VEA from 2019 (biturbo and 190hp) and 180,000km without problems, no oil consumption and only maintenance.

Now my father has a 2021 Volvo V90, with 70,000 km and more of the same, without problem.

I also know several cases of VEA engines with more than 300,000km and no problems, but I understand that in diesel engines it is important to do continuous decarbonization, drive a lot of road, use the right oil and before changing the oil apply a good engine cleaner, I I use Xenum M-Flush.

The problem with VEA diesel engines is the carbon accumulated in the cylinder segments, they do not allow the entire piston stroke to be properly lubricated and the oil does not go down the cylinder wall, staying on the piston head and being burned...
Sweden Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweden Soldier For This Useful Post: