View Single Post
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 12:37   #1
Daim
Brit in Germany

Default D5: Puff of blue smoke upon cold start with Video

Hey guys,

my D5 (D5244T10, 205 hp, 2010 built) gives off a puff of blue smoke upon a cold start and then ONLY on the cold start. Warm starts are clear as well as when you floor it and ease off the pedal.

Here a video showing it be blue for a few seconds and clearing up really quickly just to turn into soot (obviously soot on a -5°C engine when cold).

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

As said, it is only upon cold starts and the engine "rumbles" a bit rough for like 2-3 seconds before it fully clears up.

According to the paperwork I got with the car, the glow plugs were replaced in 2022 in October and since then, the car has been driven about ~7.000 km (3.000 km from me). So barely any wear... As the car had the recall regarding the belt tensioner done according to Volvos service system but not done according to what was visible, I wouldn't be surprised if it was not done.

Before I start to take the engine apart and buy new glow plugs (which are probably a PITA to change): what else could be the issue?

As said, no blue smoke at any other time apart for upon a cold start. Otherwise it is totally fine... I also have no issues with oil consumption - at least as far as I can monitor without a dipstick.

Cheers

Damien

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)

Last edited by Daim; Jan 9th, 2024 at 13:04. Reason: Embedding corrected
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote