View Single Post
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 22:56   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
Hi All, I'm new to this forum. Also my XC90 is my first volvo, so I'm still getting used to the Volvo way. I have had some weird electrical problems (brake lights randomly stuck on without pedal being touched while ignition off then battery drains) that have been traced to a faulty or failing REM. I managed to solve this problem for the time being by using Vida to simply scan for errors - for some reason it seems to ... maybe reset the electronic modules, but now Ive swapped that fault for a check brake light console message. I've found the part on Ebay. Problem I have is whether this part will need to be encoded into my system. The Part number is 28017881
The Auto Electrican who diagnosed it suggested if I got a second hand replacement then it would need flashing or encoding to integrate with the system identity. That's where the dealer lights up his £££££ module , so to speak :-)

It seems to be a dark art. Is there a DIY approach, or folks who do it as a service for less than the price of a new car

I have the impression that all electronic components in the volvo are encoded somehow. So any 2nd use replacement electronic modules would require the same. I'd welcome any thoughts and insights.
Change the brake light relay which is plugged into the REM, there was a volvo recall many years ago where you replace the two single relays by a single one twice as wide. Or has he properly Diagnosed the REM and come to his conclusion?