View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 22:38   #605
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I like my P3 S80, but with ULEZ likely expanding to more areas and the prices of cars in general at the moment, I'm not so sure would my next car be another Volvo. Maintenance wise, its been a good car to be fair, but I've found parts are pretty expensive. Its not particularly economical either, but I guess its a big car with an aging diesel engine fuel efficiency wise (euro 4).

To get a euro 6 diesel to meet emissions standards with relatively low miles is crazy money, so that sways me towards petrol. In saying that, petrol Volvo engines are too thirsty for my liking (worse than the D5) and I don't want to buy an older car than I already have because more often than not, that presents problems simply due to age.

I don't think my next car will be a Volvo, unless prices drop significantly. I don't think the new Volvo's are as good as the old, nor does the mechanic I use.

My next car will probably be something smaller and more economical. From what I've researched, Volvo don't really offer that. Its either 14k+ for a euro 6 diesel (too expensive for me) or 6/7k for a petrol that you'd need a fuel tanker behind because they're so bad on fuel.

Therefore, my answer to the poll is "probably no".
I find with modern diesels is when they’re running fine, they’re great. If they develop a problem with the DPF or Adblue system garages, even dealerships seem to struggle to fix them. I had a Transit Connect that had a turbo pipe fail. It didn’t take long for the DPF to clog up. Pipe replaced, and DPF cleaned out the van trooped up and down the motorways of the U.K. The emissions light kept coming in so the garage who fixed it tried to sirt it. The it went to a main dealer who tried to fix it. Changed a sensor aaaaannnddd…. The Emissions light kept coming on intermittently to the point I just ignored it. I’ve head this with other manufacturers where the emissions system loses its mind and nobody seems to be able to fix it. My neighbour has the same issue with his E6 Connect and he’s just traded it in for a Petrol Peugeot van that…. Yes you guessed it, has a timing belt that’s oil fed that comes with its own issues. Both out 1.5 diesel transits have this oil fed timing belt… That’s another story.
Modern engines are a pain when they fail but I’d reckon petrol engines are the lesser evil. Progress eh?

TT