View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 17:37   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
You would probably do better to buy a caravan. However, there does seem to be quite a lot of information online about converting V70s into “boot campers” and even some commercial solutions. Most of this would be transferable to a 700/900 series estate.

https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/...o-v70/3000629/

What seems to be common across most of these solutions is installing a raised platform for the mattress thus providing storage underneath. I guess you could include a leisure battery under this platform too, but you might want to give some thought to how well the occupants of the bed would be protected should it explode.

The more I think about it the more attractive the Premier Inn becomes!
I'm inclined to agree, 'Forrest'. There are a plethora of videos on YouTube depicting small hatchbacks being used as 'campers' and there is a lot more room in a 745. It depends on how minimalist 'Offgrid' either wants, or is prepared, to be.

'griston64' mentioned a tent, but that would involve pitching and striking camp every time and is not without cost. Given the size and shape of the 745, another alternative might be to have a fixed roof mounted tent which would offer greater convenience but would presumably be rather more expensive than a conventional tent. Perhaps a second hand one could be sourced.

I wouldn't call it 'camping', but in my dim and distant youth I did on occasion sleep in the back of a minivan, so 'Offgrid's proposal is not without potential. Compared with a mini, a 745 would be almost luxurious!

Regards, John.