Thread: ABS coming on
View Single Post
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:56   #3
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
So as I understand your post, you're saying that you don't have an ABS error light on the dash, but that the ABS is activating when the brake pedal is pressed, but doing it when it shouldn't?

If so, then yes, the ABS rings on the front are probably either corroded or cracked. Yes, it's relatively common on these, not too difficult a job provided you can get the hub spline out of the wheel bearing OK, you'll have trouble doing this without a puller unless they've been removed before. Much easier to replace the rings if you take out the whole driveshaft or at least the CV joint and do it on the bench. A good time to also replace the CV joint boots too if they're looking tired. Also worth checking the wheel bearings in case they are also getting tired, as it's the same job to change them too.

ABS rings are really cheap and easy to get hold of, so main issue here is labour time.

I did all the above not long ago on mine, not too bad a job but a bit time consuming.

other VERY common fault on these is broken solder joints on the ABS module - a much easier job IMHO but I'd say your symptoms don't tie in with this as broken solder joints usually put the ABS light on.

Hope this helps!
many thanks, yes first bit is right, I'll look to get some rings