View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 12:08   #1
Paul Sanderson

Default Techno puzzle – sort of

Just out of interest – more of a discussion really – on my 2003 S40 some of the fuses and one of the relays are located in a very-difficult-to-reach location in the footwell under the steering wheel. Others are in the engine bay where they are very easy to reach.

I’m from a classic car background where the very few fuses (two, on my 1951 Wolseley) and no relays at all were all in the engine bay. When relays started to be used (in the 1960s I think; big silvery Lucas ones on my Triumph GT6) they were in the engine bay as well.

Fast forward some 40 years and my last three cars – all early-2000s models – have some of the fuses and relays in the awkward location I’ve described… yet some are still in the engine bay where they’re far easier to get at. So why aren’t all in the engine bay, where there is still plenty of room for them? Why, collectively, did some manufacturers (Ford, Vauxhall and Volvo in my case) suddenly decide to put some – but not all – in a hard to reach place? Yeah, bonkers, if you ask me..! Techno guys… your opinions please!
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote