View Single Post
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 17:27   #6
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
My front reluctor rings are rusty and now throwing abs faults. my local garage says that new driveshafts are £240 each.

1) I've bought things from J&R over the years they have been great, however they are showing that you can buy just the rings, Is it easier to replace just the rings or the whole shaft, seems a waste otherwise? Also if you replace the rings only how are they attached to the hub, just push on?

2) J&R are showing 3 different listings for the MK1 do they vary?

3) I realise from searches that sometimes the hub doesnt separate from the shaft easily, so it may be better to replace the whole shaft. is this an easy job i.e. after disconnecting the bottom ball joint just pull off the old one and pop in the new one?

If you have vida that may tell you which rings you need. I think it's something to do with the amount of teeth on the ring which is why there are 3 varieties. But at their prices you could just buy them all. I changed mine last year due to one splitting from rust and throwing intermittent anti skid warning on the dash. It was a really easy job. The old ones just disintegrated and came off no issues. Putting the new ones on was as easy as baking it in the oven for half hour then tapping it on to the shaft before it cools. Much cheaper than a replacement driveshaft.
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote