View Single Post
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 20:23   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40t View Post
Thank you Apersson. On the question of noise (auto or otherwise), there seems to be quite a disparity between those who find it attractive at all speeds and those who don't (e.g. High Peak Autos on YouTube, when he tests an early p.3 like mine and expresses surprise that some like it).

I wonder whether those in the former camp have the later version? I understand the twin turbos helped and that it also had different engine mounts? Oddly, mine sounds excellent from lower speeds, a lovely soft noise, but only on hot summer days - it can't be replicated in less warm weather, even after a long run. It otherwise sounds its best in the upper ratios.
I wouldn't really take much heed of High Peak. If its not a Range Rover or some other top end car, then he's not that interested and always goes back to the negatives (or what he thinks are negatives). He didn't like the older shape XC90 either, but there's plenty of them with over 200,000 miles for sale, despite them sounding agricultural... he mentioned the sound the engine made on multiple occasions in his review on the XC90. His 5 litre petrol Range Rover won't get to 200k, that is pretty much guaranteed. It would be doing well if it made it to half that.

5 cylinder engines are imbalanced from the factory, refinement isn't their strong point (hence why people call them noisy or agricultural). They're never going to be as smooth as a V6, but they weren't designed to be. I like the 5 cylinder grunt sound, but its not for everyone.

I think auto suits these cars better. It adds to the comfort, in my opinion.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 15th, 2024 at 20:33.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote