Thread: General: - older volvo's
View Single Post
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 14:52   #9
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
Devil's advocate but why should these vehicles get cheaper tax? They will pollute more and take up just as much space as newer cars? I get it if the car is only used for limited miles, which as gar as I know was the reason for the free 'classic' tax, and I'm all for keeping old cars on the road and keeping cars longer to opt out of the incessant consumer cycle we are in...but any car used regularly as a daily, particularly high polluters, should be taxed? Shoot me now.
Oh dear - it's time this misinformation was put to bed. My 2 740s have long since paid their debt to the environment for their birth. The current crop of new cars with 5-10 life spans are unlikely to achieve this.Do my cars polute more? Well we are in a carbon famine at the moment, and we need to create more to boost the green vegetation on our planet. We also need it to maintain animal life. So what about other pollutants? Well heavy EVs increase tyre and brake dust, and need more frequent replacement. The oil, coal and wood chip generated electricity that they waste is hardly helping the planet if you follow the bleating of the proponents of the grey new deal. Then there is the damaged caused by fires with thermal runaway, the pullution caused by decommissioning scrapped EVs that happened to run over a speed bump or surrered other accidents.

I could post several more paragraphs, but suffice it to say that we should be repairing damaged appliances, and encouraging their continued use, rather than junking them and manufacturing more low grade stuff ( probably from plastics).

The sharper amongst you will have realised that I signned the pettition. It's a shame that I can't have one vote for each vehicle.
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post: