Thread: V40 or V60
View Single Post
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 17:14   #13
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I wouldn’t touch the D4 with a barge pole, that’s if it’s a 4 cylinder D4. They suffer from oil consumption issues, EGR issues, EGR cooler problems. They made modifications in 2017, so if you really want a D4, go for a 2017 plate onwards. That being said, I still think you’re better off with a 5 cylinder engine. If ULEZ doesn’t matter, the 5 cylinder D5 is more frugal… just a better engine, although dearer on road tax and fuel consumption isn’t as good. The 5 cylinder D5 is the best engine Volvo ever made.

If you want comfort, then standard suspension is better for you.
The standard suspension cars also have greater ground clearance than the R Design, so that might also be important for you.

Some 16-reg and 66-reg cars have engines with the redesigned pistons and rings, but some don't. Hence, obtaining the engine number is essential. When looking for my good lady's current car, I identified possible candidates, and in every case and whatever the year, I asked for the engine number just to be certain.

I would also encourage test driving both the D3 and the D4 to work out which one has the more suitable driving characteristics, especially when wanting to move off in a hurry (if that's an important consideration). I just found the D3 to be slightly more driver-friendly under such circumstances.