View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 22:47   #1
nafre

Default Volvo Amazon - few questions compression and driving style

Hi All,

Just a few questions for more experience Amazon drivers out there.

I've carried out a few compression readings on my car (standard twin carb B18 donk from a 122s), I seem to get the highest numbers when I've got the car battery connected to another running car battery with jump cables, results are between 135-140psi all cylinders. Adding oil into cylinders pushed these up to around 150psi. These results are on a warm engine, throttle wide open etc.,

Question is - are these figures reasonable for an older motor? Could the engine still have plenty of life/years left in here with these compression readings or does it go downhill a lot quicker once your motor is running lower compression?

Another question is on driving style, is it bad for the car/motor to be using most of the throttle/full throttle when driving around and revving it up higher between gear changes? I find if I baby it, shift early and only give it a quarter/half throttle she feels sluggish and slow compared with normal traffic. I'm used to old MG B series motors which have plenty of low end torque (but not much in the high end of the rev range).

Final question - is it normal to have some play in the steering wheel? I know these run a steering box, is there much adjustment with this or do I just put it down to wear/tear and just the way older cars were?

Thanks All, appreciate the help - will probably have more questions in the coming weeks as I get used to the Amazon
nafre is offline   Reply With Quote