View Single Post
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 16:28   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
Thanks for the comments, and the further thought provoking ideas. I only drove the vehicle for about 50 yards, so I doubt if it did any damage. Please remember that I am not an auto-electrician, so any comments or suggestions by me should be considered with caution and independent research.

The comments here have given me some further thoughts. The most significant one is - why do you need a battery? Obviously you need it to start the vehicle, but once it is started, then the car should run from the electricity generated by the alternator. What would you need to place between the positive and negative battery terminals to allow the vehicle to run without a battery. The booster could be used to start the vehicle, and removed once it is running ( perhaps ).
It's worth noting that all mopeds, autocycles and many lightweight two-stroke motorcycles, not to mention lawnmowers and suchlike, made do without any battery. Lighting was direct and a parking light, when required, was powered by a dry cell battery in the headlamp casing.

It is difficult to see how a modern vehicle with it's plethora of electric and electronic equipment could manage without a battery, but I see no insurmountable reason why the basics could be covered in the way that you envisage, 'Offgrid'. In fact, that was the norm in early cars. The engine was started by hand, lighting provided by acetylene gas. Even if a battery was provided, it was unlikely to have an independent charging system on the vehicle.

Might be a little more difficult with an E.V., though!

Regards, John.