View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 12:17   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justtom View Post
I will definitely be paying extra attention to the rust and the belts. Do you know how visible the belts are on a T5? Are they hard to access?

After my previous purchase of the golf I am anxious to get everything right this time, and be prepared as much as possible.
You can't really see the timing belt, as its behind a cover... You'd have to take that cover off. Its not particularly hard to do, but you can't just look in the engine and immediately see the timing belt if that makes sense. You might be able to see the auxiliary belt, but space is tight. You need good light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justtom View Post
One more thing about the tires - the brand is Hankook. I did a quick google search and apparently they are a mid range tire brand. Any one know anything about these tires?
Hankook are popular over here in the UK - Decent tyres. Just make sure the tread is good and the age stamp on the tyre is fairly recent. If you look at the tyres, you'll see a date stamp. For example "1208" means the tyre was made in the 12th week of 2008. The stamp will be on the outside of the tyre wall... you'll be able to see if if you look closely. Check all the tyres to see the manufacturing dates.

You don't want old tyres, even if the tread is good. Some tyres start to crack after around 6-7 years, sometimes even less. I don't keep old tyres on my car... 7 years old maximum (from manufacturing date) and I change them.