Thread: Direnza springs
View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 14:11   #18
Juular

If I could pick a car I'd like to emulate within reason, it would be my 240 GLT. I believe these have a thicker ARB than lower trim levels, plus a rear ARB. I've fitted a set of single rate -20 springs to the front only because I felt it was riding exceptionally high, but the ride remains lovely and compliant.

It's no sports car, but it has a way of snapping to the steering input and not being fazed by road surface that just feels right. There is plenty of body roll, but it doesn't feel like the grip or direction is ever affected by it.

The Amazon does ride well and can be made to corner well, but it's changes in direction or road surface that I find unsettling. There's a particular bit of motorway slip here that has a long sweeping left hander, with a bit of rutting and the occasional camber change. I'd normally hit this at a steady 60, but in the Amazon I've found myself down at 30 as I feel at any second I'm going to either lift a wheel or the road imperfections are going to tip the balance.

Same with any S bend, the first corner can be attacked nicely but the balance is hard to place for the return bend as the roll seems to take so long to return.

I think I have the alignment dialled in nicely with a little wedge of toe-in. On normal straight road / motorway it is lovely and planted on any surface and doesn't tramline or wander. In fact I've just completed 800 miles on the motorway in it, and it's once of the nicest driving cruisers in the fleet.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote