View Single Post
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 19:49   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
Hello folks,

Bought a 2014 XC60 D5 just recently (documented in another thread).

Other than a few minor niggles, door lock, A/C not working, absolutely love the car.

It's gone to my trusted independent for a cambelt + water pump last week.

Drove fine for the first 30 minutes until i started working the engine hard. Got low coolant warning so stopped within a minute or two. Coolant reservoir is below the minimum and some white steam is coming from the rear left hand side. Top up on the spot and car drives the 30 minutes home just fine.

Out again over the weekend and car drives fine for 35 minutes until we start pulling up a steep and longish hill. Engine temp warning comes on, again some steam but it doesn't feel excessively hot when stop to check. Engine coolant has dropped but not below minimum. Leave it cool for 15 minutes then continue the 5 minute journey to destination. By this point low coolant is on and it's dropped to below minimum. Top up and return the 40 minutes home normally about an hour later.

Gone back to independent today and they've said they'll look over and check the work first. They hint it could be Head gasket because of the coolant loss only at higher rpm and smoke at rear left hand side. There's no other sign of head gasket symptoms though, such as tail pipe smoke, bubbling, milky reservoir etc.

Any thoughts? From what I've read, D5 Head gasket failure is rare.

I'm wondering if maybe a hose hasn't gone back on right or the water pump gasket hasn't seated quite right, but would that account for the loss only at higher rpm? No visible signs of leaks that I can see either.
Its rare, but I wouldn’t say it never happens either.

Garage would have to do a pressure test to find out what’s going on. It does seem odd that the car has just started acting up after a water pump change.

Out of curiosity, why was the pump changed? Water pump failure is very rare on these engines (assuming it was original)?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: