View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 10:33   #1045
GMcL
0's and 1's

Kev0607, for the usage you describe an EV would work well for you. The UK is almost ideal, neither too cold nor too hot. The few sub-zero days you get in the winter would be more a slight inconvenience than a blocker.

In 2020 when we got our EV we test drove most, if not all, the affordable cars at the time. The Leaf we tried I suspect had over inflated tyres, the ride was bouncy, never settled, and the steering required a turn or two more than I expected for roundabouts.

Depending on your passenger carrying/boot space needs I wouldn't discount the Renault Zoë. My wife, who the car was mainly for, liked it, the only downside was the rear seat, nobody over about 5' 7" would thank you. The seat is raised to make space for the battery. With the seat folded you have a good size boot.

We eventually came down to a choice between KIA Niro and Soul. The Niro was a bit dark and dingy in the back, my son preferred the Soul with more light and funky design. Yes, it's a marmite car/design, we bought ours when the three year PCP came to an end.
The reason for going KIA came down to battery capacity and range, not something you need from what you've written. We live in Germany and have been to Scotland with the EV. No issues, that was back in 2021 when charge station rollout was ramping up.

The pluses for us:
Convenient charging at home, I installed a 3P 22kW charger, unnecessary at the time a bit of future proofing from me.
Silent, smooth drive
Quick enough with 150kW (204PS) motor
Lower cost servicing, free road tax, tyre wear is no better or worse than previous ICE cars my wife has had. 215/55x17 tyres aren't expensive.

Downsides:
It's an SUV, I don't like them, the buffeting of crosswinds upsets the handling
Insurance is in the same class as my Focus ST

Get out and test drive a few and see what you think. Some you'll probably dismiss straight away for reasons best known to yourself others you'll come away thinking, yes, I could manage in one of those.

I'd like to read your thoughts if you do test drive any.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote