View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:32   #6
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Thank you for your help.

It would never be off road. It would be just be towing on normal roads with the odd natural incline/decline. Its not too hilly around here.

So, the car can tow 2000kg which includes the weight of the trailer/whatever is being transported?

What is nose weight? Is that the amount of weight that can be directly applied on top of the tow bar and does the nose weight have to be included in that 2000kg figure?

With regards to the auto transmission, is this where the manual mode will come into use? So push the gear lever to the left and select the relevant gear, or do you just leave it in "D" when towing?
Yes, you can legally tow something that is 2000kg inc the trailer but It's generally considered that 85% of the 2000kg should be your maximum. I don't know where that came from, probably a caravan club thing.

Your manual will give the maximum nose weight, probably 90kg, its the force pushing directly down onto the tow ball. You need to balance the trailer so as not to exceed this. If you park the digger right at the front of the trailer more weight will push down on the nose, if you park it right at the back you may have too little weight. Both can be unstable.

Personally I just leave it in D, when I see a hill coming I put the boot down to drop a gear and that picks up a bit of speed and revs to carry me over the top. But we rarely see "proper" hills.

If neither of you have towed much consider going on a course.