View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:42   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
Yes, you can legally tow something that is 2000kg inc the trailer but It's generally considered that 85% of the 2000kg should be your maximum. I don't know where that came from, probably a caravan club thing.

Your manual will give the maximum nose weight, probably 90kg, its the force pushing directly down onto the tow ball. You need to balance the trailer so as not to exceed this. If you park the digger right at the front of the trailer more weight will push down on the nose, if you park it right at the back you may have too little weight. Both can be unstable.

Personally I just leave it in D, when I see a hill coming I put the boot down to drop a gear and that picks up a bit of speed and revs to carry me over the top. But we rarely see "proper" hills.

If neither of you have towed much consider going on a course.
Yeah, I've heard of that rule too. I think its something to do with caravans.

I understand what you mean about balancing the trailer and not keeping all the weight on the tow bar at the front or too much weight to the rear.

To be fair, I don't think many tow bars on a car could withstand a 1 tonne machine sat up on top of it (not that it ever would be). Diggers are usually transported centrally in/on the trailer for weight dispersion anyway. The load would also be secured in place with chains or ratchet straps.

Thanks for your help.