Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 17:54   #6145
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're not wrong Steve, i have a soft spot for most Rovers from the P6 onwards, especially the V8 and V6 versions (excluding the Rover KV6) and the Estoura was something special.

I may be wrong but i believe the name "Estoura" came about because it was based on the 3500S - the "S" denoting syncromesh as it had a manual box - and it was really the "S Tourer" but the letters were manipulated to create a single word, exotic sounding name. As far as i know, it was the only name of a modified body that encompassed the original model and the modification in one word, the Lynx Eventer leaps to mind as the name of the XJ-S estate conversion that bears out my theory although there are many others.

Very rare sighting you had this morning, it sounds as if it was resprayed at some point in a different colour or it could have been an even rarer beast, an Estoura based on one of the dealer-only VIP P6 models. They were a run-out model, given to the top dealers and, while based on the 3500, they came with AC, electric windows, leather upholstery, alloy wheels and Platinum Silver or Brasilia Brown metallic paint. There were other extras but i can't recall them just now but the Platinum silver could look ice blue in certain light conditions including a blue sky above.

That of course would be even rarer than a standard Estoura and out of the original 77 VIP models, not many are left anyway.
However, being on an L reg with a registration date of 1973, we can rule out the VIP option as they were 1977 registered.
That Rover does look fabulous, but I have always liked the estate conversions, that is why I had an 1800ES back in the day. It seemed to be popular during the 50's/60's/70's to make bespoke conversions, I remember seeing a Lynx Eventer in Harrods - in their distinctive corporate colours - which was very smart. Even Rolls-Royce got in on the act with a series of estates being built by H J Mulliner for the American market. https://journal.classiccars.com/2023...on-rear-hatch/ There were also a few built on the Silver Shadow chassis.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: