View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 21:07   #1047
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to do a bit more research first and then I'll update you. Its just on the back burner for now, but its definitely something I'm thinking about based on the mileage I do.

I've looked at petrol's too, particularly Volvo's. Most are older than what I have now and they have big engines. I want better mpg, not worse and I want a newer car not older. The D5 is economical for a car of its size on a run, but around town, its heavy enough on diesel. That's to be expected, its a big car. I definitely don't want a car that is worse on fuel than I have now.

I've also looked at euro 6 diesel's, but really, I don't need one. I think that'll cause more problems than its worth. These cars need regular motorway runs to keep the DPF happy, so I'm kidding myself buying a newer diesel for the sake of higher mpg.
I had a Leaf for a weekend test drive back in 2018 when i was dabbling in the idea for electric, and at the time coudlnt afford the Tesla. I had the newer edgier model at is was a nice car to drive, decent space but a few things i found a deal breaker for me. firstly i wasnt fond of the interior with the little circular drive selector. But the deal breaker for me was the windscreen pillar on the drivers side. With my driving position it was really obstrutive and quite frankly dangerous. Pulking out of junctions it is really rather wide and right in the way and i found myself bending around it. I would highly suggest test driving one first.

The other car i was thinking of but just couldnt bring myself to buying one was a prius. (sorry i said it!) not very fun to drive, but very economical. However for me, again the interior was shocking.

The other funky car to try in the BMW i3. very nice interiers, and suprisingly spacious. Boot wasnt great, but there is also the range extender version to bring some comfort to any range anxiety you may have.