Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 11:44   #6176
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Playing Devils Advocate a moment Alan, being a 1986 car it's just coming up to the magic 40 years old. If (and it's a big IF IMHO) the mileage is genuine, it's probably as close to a brand new Escrot (deliberate mis-spelling due to my experiences of Escrots in general) that anyone can get.
Overall condition suggests it's genuinely low mileage although i'd hazard a guess it had a new speedo at some point in its life and/or a new speedo drive pinion in the gearbox.

Checking the MoT history, there's a whopping 10 year gap 2008-2018 :

D714 XPH
FORD

Check another vehicle
Colour
Blue
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
21 November 1986
MOT valid until
12 July 2024

Also missing are 2006 and 2007 suggesting another (possibly 10 year) hiatus.
That rather confirms my 'so what?' comment above Dave. The seller will not be able to vouch for the entire life of the VWW, so the low recorded mileage is just a curiosity. Perhaps it just demonstrates that someone drove it around with the speedometer cable disconnected and didn't bother with the MoT test for 10 or 20 of its years? To my mind this is just an oldish and dull VWW that will not qualify for the free tax for another 3 years.

There is a chance that two nostalgic bidders (perhaps both having fond memories of their dad owning a similar VWW back in the day) driving the price up, but if not it remains a grand's worth of ditch water.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2024 at 11:55.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: