View Single Post
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 09:37   #1075
GMcL
0's and 1's

I can understand where you're coming from. I think EVs have a place. If you don't venture more than 150 miles from home on a regular basis and can charge at home they work.
If you buy a car and keep it for 7+ years they work.

Buying a new car every three years will not save the planet regardless of what is propelling it.

People will say yes, but you'll need a new battery every 8 years. I'm four years into that experiment so we'll see. If I don't then I have a fiver figure self insurance pot in reserve if I'm wrong and need a new battery at least I'll know and be able to share the details. There are Tesla model S cars with over 500,000kms for sale so they can't all be bad.

Petrol and diesel cars initially came with a twelve month warranty that was extended to 3 years. It didn't mean the gearbox and engine would explode after four years rendering the car worthless.

For some people EVs work, for some it's diesel, for some it's petrol. You buy what you can afford and that includes running costs. If you lease or PCP a car and want to give it back before you're half way through the contract you will get burned regardless. The early adopters are coming to the end of their finance contracts and the second wave aren't ready which is why we now have a backlog of used cars. Rather than take another car at a higher loan rate we just bought our car with the aim of running it until it's done. I bought my S60 at two years old with the same aim.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: