View Single Post
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 06:51   #12
mcfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
This is why you need to throw away your 2.5T engine and replace it with the 2.4 T5 (B5244T5). That very specific engine has the 81mm bore cylinders, with thicker walls, just like the original 2.3 T5 engine.

That B5244T5 engine will also remap to over 300bhp at stage 1, so its a nice alternative replacement engine to the original 2.5T R engine.

There is a case of notoriety for the 2.5T when boosted to 300bhp but the rest of the 5 cylinder engines, in stock form are very reliable engines that will do big miles. In the UK at least, nobody associates the Volvo modular engine with headgasket issues.
I actually have the 140hp(unlocked to 170hp) model and have had nothing but problems(way before I even attempted the unlock). However I am aware of the blocks, I am a very big enthusiast and researched this quite a lot of over the past 1.5 years.

The 2.0,2.3 and 4T5 are the only blocks with 81mm bore and thus can withstand 300hp easily, though it is still good practice to shim them. A shimmed 83mm block has been shown to withstand 400,500hp, provided they are shimmed early before the crack has a chance to form. The other solution is Darton sleeves.

The only difference between 2.5t and 2.4t(and 2.4i NA) is the crank throw which is where the extra 0.1l comes from, other than that the 140hp/170hp, 2.4t, 2.5t blocks are the same(except 4T5).

@stuarts, trust me we are a very car obsessed country, quite regularly we have individuals filming themselves doing at times 250km/h in *a* city that it makes news often. But this is beside the point, we were talking about the unusually high cases of HG/block failure. You say you rarely if at all hear these kinds of things, whereas I said that it happens more often than usual.

Perhaps..just perhaps it is as a user said, environmental + usage. In my country we now regularly have 40+c degree summer. The volvo thermostat opens at 105c, additionally in my country often people have installed aftermarket LPG tanks, LPG and CNG(mind you I have a bifuel model factory fitted with CNG tank) burn hotter than petrol, so you can imagine all this heat may cause premature early failure in some of the cases. But this specifically is just an assumption.

I personally monitor my ECT using custom built software and hardware, I've had the temp displayed on the small display to the left. Just idling, the temp goes from 88c standard to 105c where the thermostat fully opens and the fan kicks in. This drops the temp to 95c where the process repeats itself after a minute. I do not consider this normal, so I will be doing another block test in the future but I have planned several last resorts and that is changing the thermostat and oil cooler. Everything else is new, water pump and radiators.

Last edited by mcfe; Apr 8th, 2024 at 07:03.
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote