Thread: Engine: 3.2: - XC90 Misfire
View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 13:47   #6
seandodwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommony View Post
Did you ever manage to figure this out?
Mine has just developed a misfire on cylinder 6 as well. Haven't had a chance to dig into it properly or plug the laptop in to see what's going on, but in my case I know it's not injector-related as I have the same misfire on petrol or LPG. I've swapped coils/plugs quickly and didn't make any difference. Hoping and praying it's just something simple like damaged wiring and not a dead cylinder with low/no compression. I'm on 260k miles, so anything is possible.
ommony - sadly yes finally got a confirmed diagnosis. - Burnt valve, who knows the cause, but its head off and rebuild. Options were second hand engine (unknown beast) or scrap the car, it's 2007 SE Sport, but I love it and have done quite a bit to it, this is the first engine issue. I figure I can strip out the head myself, (a special Cam tool set required but readily available -£100), plus about £800 for a complete back to new head rebuild by a very helpful chap in Par Cornwall, I'm in London, but my brother lives near by. the gasket set is about another £150 plus consumables, the garage wanted £2.5k +, defo not in my budget. Since these 3.2's are getting rarer I think I'm going to do this and keep it.

I have two general questions for anyone who has an opinion.

1. Should I replace the timing chain & tensioners whilst I'm in there, &..

2. If I'm replacing the chain is it wise to replace the sprockets(Both cams inc. VVT and lower smaller drive unit sprocket (very expensive option!! about £800 extra for a full chain and sprocket set!!!).

3. Does anyone have any good recommendations for gasket sets for this little job!! & or Timing chains, Although I'd probably go original fro that if I change it.

Any comments welcome thank you.

Last edited by seandodwell; Apr 11th, 2024 at 14:06.
seandodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seandodwell For This Useful Post: