View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 16:25   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumeo View Post
Hi guys,

I've recently test driven a nice V70 P3 D3 @140k miles in the plan to buy and was happy with everything except the fact it's just gone through an MOT and has the following advisories:

Coil spring corroded Both Rear (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Front Inner Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge Both (5.2.3 (e))

Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

The most alarming is the coils and the inner tyre wear.

The tyre wear either suggests there's some toe out/ negative camber or wear in the control arm bushes or all of that? Best case there's some toe out and it can be adjusted out. However, with 140k on the clock, I'm thinking chances are high that bushes are worn. Anyone have experience of when these are likely to go? I know it depends on driving style/roads but it would be nice to get some sort of idea- same goes with the rear coil springs?

Thanks in advance! I really want to get this car! But I'm struggling to justify getting something that will need a load of work straight away!
That doesn't look too bad for a 13 year old car with 140,000 miles.

Tyre, for one to be worn and not the other it could be something as simple as being run under inflated. Does it pull to one side when you drive it ? If not I'd suspect pressure was the issue.

The rear shock bodies on mine have some surface corrosion, the springs will get replaced at the same time. 13 winters is enough.

I go through a set of rear pads roughly every 25,000 miles, new set of discs every second set of pads. The car you are looking at is coming up to 150,000 miles which for me would indicate rear pads and discs.

The chances of finding a car which is a teenager requiring zero work is a big ask. You might get lucky, chances are anything will need some work.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: