View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2024, 18:49   #6
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
"I changed my brakes by myself a month ago because I received the same quote as you did.
The Volvo disks and pads for both the front and rear cost me £819 at the Volvo parts department.
If you don't want to handle the job, they charge £400 for labor, which I think is reasonable.
The price is based on the tools required and the time spent."
I also think that dealer prices have gone way past reasonable for minor service items such as this. I got quoted £1170.60 for discs and pads on my XC60 in November, or £774.60 for the parts alone. Through VolvoCarParts on Ebay, the parts would have been £490 I did them on my drive for £211.60 for Brembo parts including shipping from Germany.

It took me two hours on the driveway the week between Christmas and New Year in the p*ssing cold and wet of South Wales with a trolley jack and basic tools. Had I timed it right, it could have been a pleasant summer Sunday morning with a couple of cups of coffee. Even so, this is not a difficult job and in a fully equipped workshop with an experienced mechanic, this shouldn’t take more than an hour (certainly not £396 worth of labour). If it is taking 2.5hrs, then what skillset are you actually getting for the premium price that you’re paying?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post: