View Single Post
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:40   #10
spyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishvolvo View Post
I have always replaced pairs of springs, never one at a time. If the right hand spring is stronger than the left I would assume the car would want to go left, maybe not though.
That's what I thought too but I had two garages tell me that it's fine to replace only the one (after checking the other for signs of wear) so I went with the advice given. I'm going to take the car out today and put it on the flat to see if I can see if one side is sitting higher than the other, although I know the difference may be not noticeable.

Quote:
I would sort out the top mounts as well as if they are sitting squint the geometry might changed once the car is moving, this could be done at the same time as checking/replacing the springs.
I was hoping not as this was quoted as one of the more expensive jobs. How should I check these exactly? Is it something simple I can do myself?

Quote:
I was always under the impression the rear geometry could be adjusted though my car is a '98 2.0T.
Hope this helps, but I doubt it.
Just a thought, Are your brakes OK?
I'm not sure about the adjustment. The only adjustments made by one of the garages were to the front of the car.

Brakes are fine. I had a calliper siezed on some time ago but since I have had that replaced I have had new discs and pads on the back and new pads on the front - pretty much a new braking system all round.
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote