View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 15:50   #62
dodgyken
Master Member

As the saying used to go "And there's more"

After a Saturday of testing compromise cars (V70R and BMW 545 - and also working out whether I should just go and a NEW V70 D5 - with tuning pack - 210PS and 480NM) we packed and headed to Chur - where I have a space in a garage for the Z4 to live for the winter.

The aim was to leave at a reasonable time and hopefully dodge the bad weather. We half sucessful.

We left at a good time - but the weather was way ahead of us. The route from Zurich is pretty simple - about 65km of motorway west of Wallensee, 15km along the see via tunnels and then 40km on the motorway to Chur. Chur sits 200m higher than Zurich.

As we reached the last 2 tunnels along the See snow was spotted on the edge of the motorway, 10km later and speeds had dropped to 50mph and the snow was on the motorway. 5km later I was cruising and the dizzy pace of 35mph.

A covering of snow across the entire motorway - IE no tracks to follow from the car in front cutting onto tarmac. Now throw in 250PS, RWD AND the grippy benefit of significently worn summer tyres. The last 35km was unadulterated hell. It was dark, the snow was coming down very heavily.

We just managed to get to Chur, and peal off at the first exit hoping the roads into town had been cleared. They hadn't. So every junction was a lesson in downshifting earlier and earlier, allowing the car to roll to stop - because 1 touch of the brakes and the car went sideways - proper opposite lock slide. It would have been fun had I been in an n old 740 and the road had been a deserted car park.

And so finally we parked up at the mother in laws. The task of getting the car to the garage has passed to my brother law (next weekend) or back to me in 4 weeks if the weather doesn't allow.

Having spent the 3 winters on winter tyres, all I can say is that you really miss them when you don't have them on.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote