Thread: D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Sign of head gasket problem.
View Single Post
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 21:58   #8
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningliao View Post
Thanks for all the advise. Thanks.

The price of the car is good, but not good enough to fix the head gasket problem or else.

What I would like to learn from here is a bit of Volvo D5 diesel engine knowledge.

I told the garage that it seems they haven't done the service this car for long time because of the engine is very black. They told me that is normal for diesel engine. I wasn't really believe what they said at first..... but after, I learned it is true (by visit different garage and check different diesel cars) that diesel engine oil get balck very fast. It's normal.

For the oil sign in the coolant expansion tank, salesman told me that is normal as there are different type of coolant.

I see the coolant colour is dark blue.... is this type of coolant for diesel engine have such sympton?

Another thing is. I would like to hear the experience of everyone. Is Volvo S60 D5 a realiable car? I thought Volvo diesel engine can last something like 250k +... at least this is my impression. If this particular got head gasket problem, then Volvo seems not so robust as I previous thought.

Any comment on D5 engine experience and technical side will be great appreciated.
It's not normal to have oil in the coolant, and Volvo only use one type of coolant in the diesels. I'd find another dealer who's not a liar.

The D5 is a reliable engine but like any make of car can suffer from from the occasional faulty component. There isn't a 100% fault free make of car on the planet.

I'd compare a few if your not used to the car and find one you feel 100% happy with. I drove about 6 of the same car before I chose one I was happy with.

Roy