Thread: Engine 850: B5204S/2.0/20v: - 850 Engine Cutting Out
View Single Post
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 14:29   #74
cyclogenesis

Went to TESCOS today to the bottle bank. Tried to start the car, it fired up then stopped and then I could not start it at all. All electrics seemed to be working, checked the fuses etc no joy. Called out the RAC, no fuel getting to the rail. Everything else working. Could be the Imobiliser thinks I, maybe this key is duff. Wife, kids and I get a tow back home and put it on the drive. We try the other key, no joy. So I come online to this forum. Lots of talk about relays etc. I tried the trick of bypassing the Fuel Pump Relay and still no joy. So it was probably a fuel pump problem. Interestingly, I could hear a click but no priming of the fuel system.

So I took the rear of the car apart and located the fuel pump. Following on from a comment made on here, I hit the pump with a mallet and tried the key.......wayhayyyyyy, it sparked into life. So obviously a fuel pump problem, maybe brought about as I am running on gas and the fuel pump may not be getting enough exercise.

Question is, how easy is a fuel pump change. Is is a simple follow the Haynes manual job, undoing the pipes and lifting out? I have done a search but would appreciate a link or some advice on this.

Thanks in advance

Peter
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote