View Single Post
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 15:51   #7
AB-UK
Premier Member

GSM,
In November 2004 I wrote to Volvo's HQ Customer Services, and part of the letter is reproduced below:-

"Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the 1 to 2 second lag or delay from pressing the accelerator to when the car starts moving - especially when trying to exit from a side road into a stream of traffic - especially fast moving traffic."

"This delay is dangerous."

"This being the case, and I believe this delay or lag is not unknown in these vehicles, does Volvo have a strategy to improve this in current vehicles?"

"You should therefore regard this letter as
1. exhibiting dissatisfaction with the underpowered engine this model has been given;
2. a complaint regarding the delay or lag which geartronic users such as myself experience; and
3. a request to know what and when Volvo are going to do about it."

I have been trying to find the reply I received, but I can't put my hands on it at the moment.

However, I remember it was clear from the reply I received that my questions had been ignored, and that Volvo considered the car (163bhp '53 D5 Geartronic) was operating as expected.

I even asked them if RICA tuning would solve the problem - but this was not answered.

Good luck with the quest - a class-action suit, such as occurred to Ford previously over the "Pinto" matter, is not likely to achieve any results until a few deaths have been conclusively attributed to this "delay".
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post: