View Single Post
Old Oct 10th, 2002, 20:01   #6
alexzoutsos

Default RE: K&N Air Filter Elements & Induction Kit

There are a lot of opinions about cone vs. drop in filters, but the 'general' thinking seems to be along the lines of..

Unless you have a proper ram air intake, which none of the common 'cone kits' have, and my this I mean having the cone totally shielded from engine heat, by carbon fibre or plastic or something else that won't let much heat through, you may gain a little throttle response but you won't gain any significant BHP, you may even loose some.

This has been dyno tested.

Also, a shielded intake with a cold air feed sounds remarkably like.......uhh the stock intake system!! These cars do have a good system as standard which with a high flow panel filter is good for a 400bhp engine..

But if you are waiting for the 3yr recommended volvo interval to change your air filter it is most likely absolutely filthy and you will notice an increase whichever you use.

And if you drive all motorway then maybe a cone will be better because of the high airflow.

After trying a few different kits I opted for horn relocation, removing the front air shield (designed for snow anyway) and a drop in K&N filter.

BUT do let us know how you get on either way!!!