View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:32   #5
jonnie_b

Default RE: Which tyres suited for T4 Saloon?

Hi guys, thought I'd share my experiences with you. My stock '98 T4 had P6000s on when I got it, which were fine in the dry, but I wasn't impressed with them in the wet. Seemed very prone to aquaplaning, and the traction was pretty poor.

Looked at various online reviews and decided on Dunlop SP9000s, which at the time were just under £100. On the whole, very impressed. Only minor criticism is they can be a bit twitchy in the dry - eg. tramlining on worn motorway surfaces. Wet performance however is excellent - totally sure-footed and predictable. I'd say they're probably a bit noisier then P6000s, and are very susceptible to early wear at the edges. IMHO however, predictable and safe handling in the wet is essential with 200bhp to the front wheels, and price, longevity, noise and ride quality take second place. On the plus side, they also look OK and have an 'MFS' rim protection system which works very well with the Crater wheels on my car.

I've heard PZeros are very good but wear out quickly. Having said that though, they're currently cheaper than SP9000s at a well-known tyre dealer. I'm shortly going to be forking out for 3 new tyres and will probably stick to the SP9000s though.

I may be mistaken, but I've formed the impression that P6000s are maybe better for more run-of-the-mill cars and aren't quite up to scratch for something as powerful as the T4. Maybe I'm just put off by the fact that my father's Rover 45 has them as standard...;-)

Cheers,

Jon